Wednesday, April 7, 2010

What can I do for Karen and Sarah?


















Karen is a Music Therapy student as well as an excellent muscian, Sarah is a dance student who loves to cook. What kind of space would they like to live in?... I went out and asked them (figuratively).

I traveled to the far end of campus where the music students reside. I trudged around the busy hallways until I came upon two young ladies having Jimmy John sandwiches. Fortunately they helped me figure out what Karen needs.
- Large windows.
- Lots of open space allows the musician to create her own atmosphere out of her acoustic art.
- Lots of natural light.
- Hard wood floors may create an echo or make the space louder when played in.
- Integrated wall systems where everything is built in with a place in mind. Clutter is not good.
- Some sort of sound proofed partition may be necessary so as not to bother Sarah. Or perhaps there can also be some sort of design incorporating both of their abilities. One plays music while the other dances.

I continued on to the to the dance studios. Fortunately the three lovely ladies pictured above were able and willing to help me gain some perspective on the ideal dance spot.
- The ideal dance floor material would be some type of wood- perhaps bamboo.
- The space needs to be large and open, and once again free from clutter.
- A technology station connected to a camera which can film Sarah as she dances.
- Lots of natural light with a dimming system to provide some manipulation of atmospheric qualities.
- A place for exercise mats and balls.
- Some sort of privacy wall.
- A mirrored wall.

These students provided me with some perspective on Karen and Sarah. I need to create a space for their physical bodies while allowing their minds to transcend space.

No comments: