Saturday, March 27, 2010

India: 3/9/2010






















































































-We played frisbee with the girl from yesterday.
-On to national museum of New Delhi. The museum was mostly made up of statues and other objects. My favorite rooms were of the Gods, weapons and sea ships. I noticed one lady placing a flower at the base of one of the statues. This was perhaps her house god as it was not one of the "main Gods." This was beautiful to see, as well that the museum staff are not bothered by this act.
- The Buddha statue sketch I read was in the greek style as the rulers in power desired Gods depicted this way. A curious little boy followed me through some of the rooms. When I came to sketch the battle elephant the little boy walked up next to me to watch. He smiled with yellow braces watching me sketch, occasionally looking up at the elephant and back down at my page.
- Next to the Indian Museum of Modern Art. The building was brand new however its interior design was very problematic in circulation. The museum was mostly paintings. The different exhibits told of the English patrons who began to commission and reinvigorate the fledging popularity (among Indians) of miniature paintings. There were also many beautiful realist paintings.
- While I walked around I was approached by a young Indian couple. I learned their names (spelled phonetically) Ripsiana and Yipisin. They were very nice, curious about where I was from and what I thought of India and New Delhi. Later on I sat down with my friends to sketch a near by statue when Ripsiana approached me and asked if I would like to come with her to "a spiritual place." I had to decline since I was with a group. Since all my friends saw this they made a few jokes like I would be taken away and trafficked or have my kidneys stolen. I think they were just nice people coming across weird.
-We chilled at the hotel before dinner. I did the watercolor on the boat. Fortunately I was able to make some green colors as I lost both of my green half pans on the plane.
- Dinner in the same area I got my frisbee. We walked around and once again a group of guys followed Clairissa around!

No comments: