Sunday, January 24, 2010

Home in the Wastes









Journal Entry 107

1/24/2743

Henry’s little shelter seems to be holding up well for us. He’s so kind to allow us to stay with him for a while. I can’t complain about his grizzly form when he seems to cook all of the radiation out of our catches. He loves our company. He’s happy to see us especially since the few people he does see usually curse him. When he’s aware of our presence he refrains from clawing against the pallets that make up his little structure. I suppose it’s an effort to show us his “humanity.”

The wastes have certainly made their mark on my face. I was beautiful when we lived in the vault. That was no life, and out here free in this tiny shelter I feel less claustrophobic. The wastes build character and muscle. My back is stronger now as I continue to carry water for the shelter’s tank. My son will hunt with his father soon and we’ll have that pile of sticks full of rad-meat. The wastes have certainly taught me that life is not about what you have but who you have whether they be human or… “other.”

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I drop by your site about once a month. I really like your makeshift shelter and your barbershop. I can't believe this is your third year. Time flies

Carlos Smith said...

Hello Brooke thank you for your comments. I'm not sure I remember who you are. I tried clicking your blog name but I received a declining message stating that your profile is private. Anyway I hope you continue to visit!