Saturday, October 25, 2008

Dialog Project












For our Dialog projects we were to create two distinct spaces using 12-4"x6" bristol board planes along with 12 wooden skewers. These spaces were to have some type of communication with each other in their respective qualities.
I wanted to create something with positive and negative qualities, or at least two spaces that were not identical to each other. I felt like having different spaces would bring more energy and interactivity to the model. Ironically for my first model I created two spaces that were closely similar to each-other however the way I placed them in relation to each-other created the contrast. One space I placed on its side while the other I placed more vertical. I then intertwined the spaces by sticking one of the stakes of the vertical space into the horizontal space. both spaces opened up outward while relating to each-other in thier interiors which joined at the back. 
I decided not to continue explicitly with this idea in more iterations because I wanted to incorporate my "canal" joint system which I used in my unity project. The canal joints would not work with the structure of my first model because the joints cannot intersect each-other on the planes of bristol board. I wanted my two spaces to be an ordered space which would be a replication of my unity project coupled with a structure that is disordered. The disordered space would have joints and planes like the ordered space but would be "blown apart" as if the disordered space was once like the ordered space but is now only parts and pieces of the original. I placed one of the legs of the ordered space within the disordered space. However when I did this there wasn't much of a sense of dialogue. The ordered space was too tall and open to have much of a relation to the disordered space. The ordered space also had the leg attachments that pointed inward almost implying a third space. It was very hard trying to think of ways to fix this problem or fix the ordered space to relate closer to the disordered space. I decided to throw the unity model/ordered space out as it would only complicate and make the spaces harder to relate to each-other. 
I kept the disordered space and decided to build onto it the ordered space. At first I experimented with extending square planes out from the disordered space as the disordered space has lots of diagonals and crazy angles and an ordered space can be made of squares and right angles. However this only attracted my eye to the disordered space as the angles made it more interesting than the boring blocky ordered space. I decided to find a way to incorporate the angles and energy of the disordered space into the ordered space. 
For the new and final ordered space I created triangular planes which connected to another set of triangular planes all connected by the skewers running through the canal joints. The ordered space was now visually interesting and it conveyed the idea that it is recovering from what ever happened to the disordered space and that it is what the disordered space used to be. Because the disordered space was so exaggerated in its disruption the dialog between it and the ordered space is made more apparent.

No comments: