Thursday, September 16, 2010

CRH Design Schematic

I decided to focus on the "Shade Tree" as my concept. I look to it not so much for aesthetic inspiration but for the revitalizing moment underneath while laying on fresh green grass, patches of dirt, encircling roots and a cool earthy scent in the breeze. I want to create the same moment in my space made up of multiple parts that influence, connect and govern each-other. In the first illustration set below I have my central unifying element of the group room called the slant wall. To exemplify how my concept plays out I will have systems of the room reverberate and connect to this element, then systems from those systems will make the same connection, thus generating a network comparable to the roots, the grass, the dirt, and the climate of the shade tree.

Lighting:
The existing fluorescent bulbs are very direct and harsh on the eyes, and the reflective white floors only work to increase the intensity. Much like the "Spine" corridor that runs the whole hospital, I would like to use cove lighting on the edges of the ceilings to create a softer space. In many of the spaces with windows to the outside I have slanted the ceiling so that light seemingly explodes from windows enlarging spaces.

Materials:
Natural materials are important in that they establish a connection to nature allowing the client a connection to the universe as well as for their abilities in reacting to natural light. For example use of sandstone flooring will be placed where sunlight hits the floor most prominently. Walking barefoot on warm sandstone as I did during a trip to India was an experience in itself entirely different to what one might compare to warm cement. Terazzo flooring in the rest of the space and hallways will be in a cool blue/gray. Accents of walls and storage components will be made of pale species woods. Long dark heavy timbers will stretch along walls providing support for various systems.




No comments: