Friday, September 25, 2009

Castle Preservation







I wanted to create a sense that we are viewing the distant future with an ancient fortress that has been retrofitted with technological enhancements. You are a pilot and you are walking on to the scene of attacking forces. The cockpit has all sorts of screens and lights to reference the status of your walking tank. Cars are fleeing from the fortress as the palace guard tries to defend. One of the tanks' legs is destroyed while shielding a bus. The screaming commander and the moving sign attached to the fortress promote a sense of urgency. There is also a sense that these are not the only attackers; the battle continues in the background as smoking skyscrapers have clouded the sky.
I didn't want to tell the viewer which side the pilot is on by showing his tank's color. I showed the pilot touch on his objective: to protect the castle. The defenders also have a common insignia which looks like an orange and grey shield.
I practiced a lot of drawings in my sketch book for rendering the hand, the tanks and the commander's face. The biggest success of this project was how much my rendering skills increased as well as bringing me out of my timid use of markers.

No comments: